Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OpenMoko

From: Roshan Baliga
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OpenMoko
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:35:32 -0700

I noticed the excitement yesterday, then found this tidbit at the bottom of their software page:

"(*) GPS position calculation and, also for regulatory reasons, firmware contained in peripheral chips are the only exceptions. Those components communicate with the rest of the system through openly specified interfaces, e.g., NMEA, GSM 07.05, etc."

Which leads me to believe you won't be able to do much SDR with the phone. Plus, I would be willing to bet they do everything in hardware (I would, if I was building a consumer device).

-Roshan

John Bratteli wrote:
I may be behind the times with this, but have any of
you looked at the OpenMoko project?  It's an open
source cell phone software stack.  They're not
consumer ready yet, but the Neo1973 was recently put
up for sale as developer hardware.  There could be
real potential for the phone as a GNURadio platform,
and we could use some of their code as well.

John Bratteli

Hardware overview -
http://www.openmoko.com/products-neo-base-03-hardware.html
Software overview -