Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FCC creates obstacles for Open Source software ra

From: Lamar Owen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FCC creates obstacles for Open Source software radio
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:29:37 -0400

On Friday 06 July 2007, Philip Balister wrote:
> Found on /. I wonder how much Cisco paid for the words ....
>
> http://news.com.com/Feds+snub+open+source+for+smart+radios/2100-1041_3-6195
>102.html?tag=nefd.lede

Well, quite honestly, Cisco's only costs would have been the lawyer time and
the filing of the petition.

This action to me seems rather reasonable.  The only software that the FCC is
worried about is that which sets the radio's operating mode, emission mask,
and transmit power.  Given the FCC's well-known reticence to radio anarchy
this is as much of a concession as could be expected at this time.

Yes, I said concession.  This is actually a relaxation of the interpretation
of the rule; the FCC recognized the usefulness of open source in this, and
intentionally narrowed the scope.  The specific mention of amateur equipment
(if you think of the USRP as a radio, it is amateur equipment; it is,
however, marketed as test equipment (and the part 15 rules apply)) is a very
good thing.

Petitions can be filed to this M R&O too, if the new rule isn't to anyone's
liking.

But is open source less secure, when the item being secured is 'how do I
manipulate the operating frequency, power, and mode of this radio?'
Discussion, anyone?
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer