Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with udp-sink/source over a network

From: LRK
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with udp-sink/source over a network
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:53:36 -0500

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 09:26:25AM -0400, Dev Ramudit wrote:

> >You must have the remote listener already running before running the
> >sender script.
> >
> I've got the remote listener running (I've tested this over the course
> of 4-5 hours, with every configuration I can think of). Nmapping the
> computers shows that the port is being opened when I run the listener,
> running the source application locally also works fine, but remotely I
> always receive the above error. I've tried all combinations of
> "localhost" and the public IP that I can think of, with no luck. I'm
> going to try to write out everything in C++ and figure out why the error
> to the connect() call is being thrown. If anyone has any other
> suggestions, please let me know.

I have a program which runs tcp/ip over the network but I have to run
the sender before the receiver. The sender is in python and hangs on
the open. The receiver is in C and when it opens the socket, the python
program proceeds.

When the receiving program closes, the python errors off.

I suspect the udp does this the same way but I haven't converted to udp.

I have done this on the same machine, between machines over ethernet,
and even over the internet via an SSH tunnel. This is low-speed, 19200
bytes/sec max so I don't know about higher speeds.

I also have a case where the sender hangs on one socket until the receiver
opens it, then goes to hang on the second one until it opens. This version
reads audio from two radios on a stereo sound card, feeds each thru two
types of filters, then bit recovery, and level slicers. The C program then
allows me to work on the four bit streams. A script re-cycles the python
program whenever the C program closes.

Not real exciting stuff but amazing that an ol dawg can get it to work.:)

--
LRK