Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why two switches and two Rx in RFX

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why two switches and two Rx in RFX
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:48:26 -0700

> Question. What is "a lot of attenuation" (ballpark?)  I have a RFX1800
> transmitting at "20" going into (cabled) a dbsrx with gain "40".
> Between the transmitter and receiver I have 40dB worth of
> attenuators... Would you suggest any different? I learnt the hard way
> on the first dbsrx :)

The RFX boards can put out as much as 26 dBm.  The RF inputs can be
damaged by 0dBm.  So use at least 30dB.  But the frontend isn't linear
unless you go even lower.

I get this question a lot, and I don't understand it.  Attenuators are
cheap and they don't charge per dB.  Why not just throw 40 or 50dB in
there and be safe?

Matt