Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why two switches and two Rx in RFX

From: Jeffrey Karrels
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why two switches and two Rx in RFX
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:13:43 -0400

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:10:15 -0700
From: Matt Ettus <address@hidden>

I use two sets of USRP with RFX900 to test a FDD( frequency devision
duplex) by cable connection. According to my experience, the cable
loss should be less than 0.5-1 db, right? (which come with RFX900) So,
If I set the same gain for two RFX900 tx, say -a 100, the received
signal is much smaller than the coupled signal from itself, whatever
the different frenquency is. So, why there are both input signal? it
is coupled signal or intentionally designed? I think it is intentional
designed, and since the tx signal is routed to Rx2 directly, so it is
much stronger than come from its peer end, is it right?

You should NEVER connect the TX output to an RX input without a lot of
attenuation in between.  You should also not be using RX2 in your situation.

Matt

Question. What is "a lot of attenuation" (ballpark?)  I have a RFX1800
transmitting at "20" going into (cabled) a dbsrx with gain "40".
Between the transmitter and receiver I have 40dB worth of
attenuators... Would you suggest any different? I learnt the hard way
on the first dbsrx :)

Thanks
Jeff