Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] compressed_file_sink/source?

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] compressed_file_sink/source?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:13:26 -0700 (PDT)

Gzip will be slow.  You might look at some lossless audio compressors.
"wavepack" looks like it might work.
See here for a good overview with links
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison#WavPack_.28WV.29

One way to implement this would be as a "filtered" source or sink.
Like a file source/sink but the user gets to specify a filter type
program that could do something to the data, such as compress or
decompress.  With luck the operating system would schedule the filter
process to run on a different core/CPU and it could go fast

--- Dan Halperin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Has anyone explored inserting a compression algorithm before a
> file_sink
>   or a file_source? I made a gzip_file_sink, but it just can't keep
> up
> at low decimation rates. Are there good compression libs that anyone
> would recommend instead?

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  address@hidden
  Office: 310-336-5189  address@hidden