Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] offset at input of LF_RX

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] offset at input of LF_RX
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:45:40 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Ettus" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:33 PM

[snipped]

Back to the subject of  what your signal generator is doing, I don't
know.  If you measure the voltage on the sma connector with nothing
connected, you will see that it is 0.  If you connect a 1 V source
through a 50 ohm resistor, you will see that there is 0.5V at the
connector.  If you connect -1 V through a 50 ohm resistor, you will see
-0.5V at the connector.

That's not what I get. With the input open, I measure 108 mV on the SMA connector and a DC component from the ADC (detected using the RSSI register, to avoid the DC offset filter in the FPGA). If I short the input to ground, I get a negative DC component from the ADC. To get zero from the ADC I need to ground the input through a 50 ohm (approximately) resistance; in this case I measure 62 mV at the input to the LFRX board. My conclusion (confirmed by inspection of the schematic) is that the LFRX needs to be driven by a source resistance of 50 ohms *at DC* to be correctly biased.

-- Don W.