[Discuss-gnuradio] RE: [gsm] GMSK: GSM initial phase for a burst

From: Clark Pope
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] RE: [gsm] GMSK: GSM initial phase for a burst
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:59:04 -0400

Is there an initial condition to the differential encoder? Seems odd that they wouldn't just send the 148 pi/2 phase shifts. -Clark

From: "Jeffrey Karrels" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: [gsm] GMSK: GSM initial phase for a burst
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:09:46 -0400

Hello everyone.

I am looking at the frequency correction burst of a GSM signal.
According to spec the original data defines 148 bits of 0 that are
differentially encoded and GMSK modulated.  After the data goes
through the differential encoder it ends up as [-1,1,1, (142 1s),
1,1,1].  I have taken this burst and plotted I vs Q (which is
attached).  I was expecting to see the amplitude ramp up followed by a
negative pi/2 phase shift, followed by 147 positive pi/2 phase shifts,
and a ramp down. I never see the initial negative phase shift though.
Am I missing something in my sanity? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you for your time
Jeff

<< fcch2.png >>

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm