[Discuss-gnuradio] ATSC modulation

From: jafa
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] ATSC modulation
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:06:08 -0700

Hi guys,

I am interested in being able to generate ATSC/8VSB modulation and/or playback a sampled ATSC/8VSB signal.

The modulation calculation does not need to be real time and can be calculated off-line. The playback of the pre-calculated modulation would be real-time and loop the short burst of samples.

What DAC resolution and frequency would be needed for real time playback of 8VSB modulated onto a 44MHz IF carrier?

Can you recommend off-the-shelf DAC hardware that would be able to do this?

I can configure an embedded processor we have here to output an 8-16bit word at 250-300MHz - would a crude resistor ladder DAC work or would it need a good silicon DAC?

Thanks,

Nick