Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] End-to-end delay question

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] End-to-end delay question
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 22:21:48 -0400

On May 21, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Eric Blossom wrote:
We have the capability to request real time scheduling (currently only
on systems that implment POSIX sched_setscheduler), but generally
avoid it by default, since folks have been known to frequently blow
their own feet off.

Looking at gnuradio-core/lib/src/runtime/gr_realtime.cc, it seems that the running thread's scheduling is set to FIFO and the priority is maximized. If this is "all" that's being done, then this can be ports to pthread's (also supposedly POSIX), as on some BSD (and thus OSX) systems. Instead of "sched_setscheduler" (which sets both the scheduling policy and priority), use "pthread_attr_setschedparam" and "pthread_attr_setschedpolicy". I will look into it. - MLD