Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mobile Power Supply for USRP

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mobile Power Supply for USRP
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 18:54:23 -0700

Most of the daughterboards regulate the 6V down to 5V, so you really need about 5.5 to 5.75 V to operate correctly.

Matt

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
On Monday 07 May 2007 00:29, Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
Is there a off-the-shelf product to power the USRP from 13.8 volts? My understanding is the USRP needs a couple of amperes at 6 volts. The best I saw was 1 Ampere maximum output.

I think you could use DC-DC converter that outputs 5V.

The dropout on the regulator used is 1.5V, and 3.3 + 1.5 = 4.8V. Not a lot of headroom but it should work OK.. Right? :)

You could test it using your PC power supply before spending money too.

Farnell sell DC/DC converters that will do the job but they are not cheap (>AU$100) http://au.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical/Power+Supplies+&+Converters/POWERBOX/PBBA-1205F/displayProduct.jsp?sku=3821067

They also sell DC/DC converters that will go down to 3.3V but then you would need to remove the existing regulator and it would almost certainly be much noisier without the linear regulator in there.