[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USB FIFO

From: Thibaud Hottelier
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USB FIFO
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:51:15 -0400

Brian Padalino wrote:
On 3/29/07, Thibaud Hottelier <address@hidden> wrote:
My idea was that the process in the fpga that read usb_bus can store the
packet and the total length is reached, ignore the data coming because
we know its padding. That process is the first process in the wiki page
(http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UsrpTxModifications). This way we don't
need a dual clock fifo that can skip, only a single clock one.

We need a dual clocked FIFO just because the FX2 is running on a
different clock domain than the FPGA.  The FPGA runs at 64MHz whereas
the FX2 runs at something like 24MHz I believe.  Because these clocks
know nothing about each other - their domains need a nice handoff
point like that dual clocked FIFO.

For a handy reference:
   http://www.fpga4fun.com/clocks.html

If you don't understand, we'll have to talk it over some more.  It's a
good concept to understand and surely will help in the future.

"This way we don't
need a dual clock fifo that can skip, only a single clock one"
Yes, that's wrong, I wanted to say that we need only standard dual clock fifo or single clock fifo that can skip packets but we don't need a dual clock fifo that can skip.

Thibaud

Brian