[Discuss-gnuradio] Good laptop for GR/USRP

From: Bahn William L Civ USAFA/DFCS
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Good laptop for GR/USRP
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:48:05 -0600

We will (hopefully) be purchasing some new laptops specifically for use
with the USRP and wanted to get any recommendations on particularly good
machines to purchase or, failing that, what specs to focus on.

This is my present thinking - please correct any misconceptions I have:

1) Dual core is probably a very good way to go, especially since our
applications are going to involve a signal processing thread and a
control thread.

2) We want to get as much processor speed as we can get.

3) Memory probably isn't a huge concern. We will probably be getting 1GB
of ram.

4) In order to capture long data sequences, it would be nice to have a
speedy throughput to the hard drive. What is a good solution here - as
in what is a reasonable set up that is considerably faster than the
run-of-the-mill hard drive and controller? (When all is said and done,
we'll live with what we get, this isn't super important to us).

5) What processors should I consider and/or avoid? My understanding is
that GR leverages the advanced floating point capabilities of modern
processors, but I have no idea which ones are particularly good or
particularly bad.

6) How much does the video card affect things? Does it affect non-GUI
applications very much (as in, does GR use the processing capabilities
of today's video cards in any significant way for non-video
processing?).

Thanks a lot!