Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio website.

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio website.
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 13:33:28 -0800

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 10:42:49AM -0800, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> Eric Blossom wrote:
>
> > Another thing to think about is what do we want at
> > http://gnuradio.org? Maybe that's where the "marketing page" goes. Of
> > course we can config apache to redirect it into the wiki somewhere.
>
> I think this is the right approach.  Trac is sort of a minimalist Wiki
> implementation tacked on to a better repository browser and issue
> tracking system.  It's not meant to host "fluff" type stuff, or rather,
> it doesn't really provide a great deal of assistance in doing so.
>
> > Once that's sorted out, perhaps we ought to replicate it at
> > http://gnuradio.org [Violating my own rule, I know.  I'm not sure I
> > can get a redirect installed at http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio,
> >  and JavaScript is out.]
>
> Personally, I'd rather install Wikimedia on gnuradio.org and just use
> Trac for repository browsing and tickets.  There are far more effective
> spam control modules for Wikimedia than Trac, as well as more
> sophisticated math rendering, attachment/inline controls, revision
> control, user accounts, etc.

Seems like a lot of work, possible confusion, and we lose all the
trac integration with the wiki.

It looks like there's a desire for two things:

  - A nice looking "marketing page" (which could be static)
  - And the place where we're really getting all the work done (Trac)

> > Good.  There's also a way to get a sidebar in Trac that we may want
> > to consider for the start page.
>
> We may have to upgrade Trac to do this (I'm not opposed, but its effort
> and potential for breakage/downtime.)

Can we reuse the Table of Contents magic command.  E.g.,
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/TracGuide

Eric