Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] compile failure of svn head with slightly old ins

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] compile failure of svn head with slightly old install
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:56:34 -0500

Eric Blossom <address@hidden> writes:

> The build tree should be linking against the build tree
> (non-installed) libs.

I agree, and pretty clearly it wasn't.

> I understand your goal, but that's not how we're currently doing it.
> If you've got a suggestion (and a patch) to handle this robustly both
> ways, I'm willing to entertain it.

Entirely reasonable.

> What I want to be sure that we can do is to run make check against the
> non-installed libraries prior to installation.
>
> Is NetBSD using a vanilla version of libtool, or a modified version?

pkgsrc has a slightly modified version, but it seems to be only
patches for various platforms that haven't been merged upstream for
various reasons.  I'm aware of no intent to behave oddly on purpose.

Jonathan Corgan wrote:

  On my main development system (Linux Ubuntu 6.10), I normally do a 'make
  uninstall' to clean out the system directories of related libraries, .py
  files, .h files, etc.  Then I do a 'make distclean' inside the tree, to
  remove all the old cruft.   Only then do I do the usual ./bootstrap,
  ./configure, etc.

I did make uninstall, clean, make and it built.  But I'd say it's a
bug if you have to uninstall first.

I can't trivially reproduce this first, but it seems to be mblock's
use of pmt that's troublesome.  This could be just the only user of
functions that changed signature, though.