Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Playstation 3

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Playstation 3
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:08:15 -0500

It can and it does and I did it to component cables before I hooked up hdmi.

I use my Sony LCD HDTV as the monitor (when it is needed) because the PS3 is used to play games.  For compiles, etc.,  I do not turn on X and ssh in to a bash shell and work remotely.  When we get the sound system sorted out,   I will use the monitor to display some of the python gui examples locally.

So far,  it is a usable PowerPC.  Until we get specific dsp and graphics accelerations using the SPE's,  it is even an inexpensive PPC at the price in a nice compact package,  but nothing more.

I am pretty appalled at the status of Linux USB sound.  We ran in to this problem two years ago when dealing with all sorts of issues (such as people wanting to use laptops) and I see that not much has really improved.

There is a device snd_ps3....  which I can find no instructions on how to enable and this discussion seems to indicate from the Ubuntu bigots that it does not work yet:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343113&page=2

So I tried to modify the examples to use oss.  They fail.

Portaudio (pa_devs)  does identify the correct devices but fails to produce useful results so far in their "sound making" exemplars.

Bob