RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] QAM, carrier tracking and clock recovery

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] QAM, carrier tracking and clock recovery
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:20:54 -0500

Martin,

I've been doing a bit of work on this problem and have two developer
branches open for this. In branches/developers/trondeau/digital-wip you will
find QAM modulator code; I have transmitted this and received it on my
Signature signal analyzer and see the perfect constellations. The code also
performs Gray coding on the constellation. This code only has the QAM
modulator side and no demodulator. This should be very quick to work up, and
it sounds like you might already have it.

In branches/developers/trondeau/digital-wip2, I've been doing modifications
on the MPSK receiver and implementing D8PSK. This work is almost complete
and will be merged into the branch soon. I would look the 'gr_mpsk_receiver'
block code from now on. It's decision-aided and does the Costas loop and M&M
(a modified version) at the same time and improves the DQPSK reception.

The mpsk_receiver should be fairly easily extended to work for QAM, too,
with improved decision making on the quadrant and "shell" the symbols are
in. It's similar to what you said, except it does joint estimation of the
timing.

I'm swamped with other responsibilities right now, so I won't have time to
hack on the QAM work, although I really want to get the 8PSK code into the
trunk, so expect that soon. If this code helps you in working on your QAM
solutions, please use it, and we can hopefully work together to get this
done and part of the release.

Tom