Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ethernet UDP source/sink blocks

From: M. Ranganathan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Ethernet UDP source/sink blocks
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:59:34 -0500

Cool! Can I use a UDP Sink to encapsulate demodulated FM into UDP packets for transmission over a network?

Tom Rondeau wrote:

I just checked in a set of UDP source and sinks into the GNU Radio. These
are designed to create a minimal operating UDP stream between two hosts,
mostly for proof-of-concept testing. While you can do all of this in Python
and the file_descriptor_sX, these should be easier to manipulate as they do
much of the socket creation and exception handling for you.

Note: these blocks have no concept of flow control and lost and dropped
packets can easily occur. These blocks are meant to give you access to UDP
streams, but you have to use them wisely.

As examples, I created a couple of examples that were placed in
python/hier/networking as they are implemented with the new hierarchical
blocks. One pair allows you to send a dial tone between hosts and the other
pair shows how to use it with vector data.

Someone asked about multicasting. I haven't done much with multicast myself,
but wouldn't this be easily doable by using a multicast address for the IP
address? Or is there something specific that I'm missing with this?

Tom