Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_tv_rcv.py problem in OS X

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_tv_rcv.py problem in OS X
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:25:04 +0100

Michael Dickens wrote:
> Sam - After some ado, everything is running again on my various PPC  and
> Intel Macs, and I was in the lab today and tested out GNU Radio  running
> the script you were having an issue with.  On both the Intel- Mac (iMac
> 20", Core 2 Dou @ 2.16 GHz, 2 GB DRAM) and PPC-Mac  (PowerMac, Dual G5 @
> 2.0 GHz, 2 GB DRAM), I got exactly the same  response - lots of
> NSAutoreleaseNoPool errors that seem to come from  the use of SDL in
> gr-video-sdl.  Sorry this isn't more helpful  (yet) ... but at this
> point in time it looks like SDL video (or at  least the example script)
> doesn't work on a Mac (any other Mac users  care to try it out &
> respond?). - MLD
>
> On Jan 18, 2007, at 11:56 AM, Sam Small wrote:
>
>> 2007-01-18 11:50:47.342 Python[17353] *** Uncaught exception:
>> <NSInternalInconsistencyException> Error (1002) creating CGSWindow
>> Trace/BPT trap
>>
>> [At this point I get a popup dialogue stating, "The application
>> Python quit unexpectedly."]
I found that more people are having problems using SDL on OSX.

I found this in a mono discussion:
http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-devel-list/2005-February/010658.html
<<snip>>
I still got the error:

<Uncaught exception:
<NSInternalInconsistencyException> Error (1002)
creating CGSWindow
Trace/BPT trap

A bit of research showed that this error occurres if
cocoa hasn't been initialised,  which can be done with
the API call NSApplicationLoad.

So, I did an external declaration for that function:

[DllImport("/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Cocoa")]
public static extern void NSApplicationLoad();

then just make a call to NSApplicationLoad prior to
calling SDL_Init.
<<\snip>>

This is a solution for using SDL with mono.
But there is probably also a C++ or python way of doing the NSApplicationLoad()
to instantiate cocoa.

Hope this helps,

Martin