Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU radio: where to start?

From: michael taylor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU radio: where to start?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:56:28 -0500

On 12/6/06, Mario Rossi <address@hidden> wrote:
GNUradio looks very interesting, but I haven't found too much
documentation for very beginners (I'm not en engineer, and I've
problems understanding many things behind radio and frequencies).

I think of it very much as a project still (at this point in time
anyhow) mainly aimed at people who have some engineering, DSP
programming, or radio experience. I guess I'm saying it's pre-beta on
the whole. It isn't a turn-key like say Myth-TV (Linux based personal
video recorder), but more tinker / hacker level.

It looks to me a great idea! Having one single receiver useful for all
sort of signals! Instead of chasing all new standards of digital and
analogue broadcast!

That's the appeal of software defined radio, using a fairly generic
and flexible RF (radio frequency) hardware front-end, and doing all
the information theory processing (encoding / decoding, modulating /
demodulating) in software which is far cheaper / low-barrier to
change.

But it looks too good to be true, since I haven't understood whether
such a receiver exists. It looks one has to assemble it personally,
but then again I have no idea of how to do it. And would it be good
for all frequencies? What is a reasonable range for a single device?

As I suggested, it is not (in my opinion) a consumer application at
this point in time. Hardware does exist, and you can purchase it (i.e.
a USRP from Ettus Research), and a variety of daughterboards covering
common frequencies are available.

The basic USRP is good for the GNU/Radio project, the daughterboard(s)
determine what frequency range(s) you can use.

"Range"? Distance (transmitter/receiver distance)? or frequency
range?, dynamic range?

If you are looking for a software based radio receiver, I'd say
something like WinRadio (/LiNradio) or the like might be more what you
are looking for. <http://www.winradio.com/>.

Another question: the project http://drm.sourceforge.net looks to be a
subset of GNUradio, decoding only DRM.
There as well a receiver is needed. Unfortunaltely I cannot understand
whether the same sort of device is required for DRM and GNUradio. Has
anybody seen it?

the DReaM project is only software to decode an audio signal from a
shortwave broadcast(*) signal that is DRM encoded, and outputs
(typically from the speaker) the human intelligent audio content.

The DRM / DReaM software would typically use an average quality
shortwave receiver, such as the made by Grundig / Eton, Sangean, and
Kaito. US online store:
<http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable.html>.

*) I'm only aware of DRM - Digital Radio Mondiale being used for
international shortwave broadcast transmissions. It could be used for
AM/MW I believe, but I don't know if that is being used anywhere.

I hope that clarify things a bit.