[Discuss-gnuradio] receiver questions

From: seph 004
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] receiver questions
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 03:12:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi

It seems the more I read through the fpga code, the more confused I get. There are a few things I'm unsure about:

In the fpga DDC, are I and Q samples being generated from complex samples? The adc_interface module just seems to multiplex the same complex sample on to 2 lines. It would seem then that if the CORDIC module can muliply the sample with a sine and cosine at the carrier frequency, then I and Q samples should be produced. However, many diagrams around label the lines as I and Q before this stage, and it would seem then that I Q down conversion is done in analogue on certain daughterboards. Are I and Q channels generated in the daughterboards or in the DDC?

From looking at the debug pin code, and the code for synchronizing two USRP's, is it possible to receive a complex signal from a daughtboard and also use it to listen for an external digital trigger signal that can be used within the FPGA?

Also, from a response to another person's query, I noticed that Eric mentioned that the basic daughtboards could not transmit or receive  any signal lower than 100 kHz. Is there no way to receive a signal around 40 kHz? Perhaps with another daughtboard?

Regards
Lance