Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Interesting with the zero-copy loop buffer of GNU

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Interesting with the zero-copy loop buffer of GNU Radio.
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:25:28 -0800

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 04:42:50PM +0800, hanwen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm intersting with the buffer mechanism of GNU Radio. Is there any document
> about it? Or can someone explain it to me.
>
> Many THANKS!

Hi Hanwen,

I'm not exactly sure what level of detail you're looking for, but here
goes...

It's basically a single writer, multiple reader FIFO with the FIFO
implemented as circular buffer using an MMU trick.

The high level interface is in gr_buffer.{h,cc}.

The circular buffer via MMU trick is factored out into
gr_vmcircbuf*.{h,cc}.  The abstract interface to the trick is in
gr_vmcircbuf.h

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/doc/classgr__buffer.html

See especially the collaboration diagram for gr_block:;
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/doc/classgr__block.html

After taking a look at the code, let me know if you've got more
questions.

Eric