Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB URB Structure

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB URB Structure
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:28:19 -0800

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 05:37:56PM +0000, Joe Pub wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking into writing a native USB driver for Windows and the USRP, i'm
> trying to find out some information on the USB interface of the USRP.

See:
  usrp/firmware/include/usrp_interfaces.h
  usrp/firmware/include/usrp_commands.h

> I have found the info here regarding the USB descriptor table
> (usrp/firmware/src/usrp2/usb_descriptors.a51).

> Does anyone know where the best place is to find documentation (if any)
> of the USB data structures that are sent on interface 0, 1 & 2 (ep0, ep2 and
> ep6) so that I can achive this.  I assume the ep0 data strucutres are that
> of the USB Device Request structure on the default control pipe, but I also
> assume there are more control requests than the standard USB ones.
>
> Another thing I was wondering, since the vendor id is a standard free for
> all type, how do you actually determine if it is indeed a USRP that you are
> connected to, and on top of that if you are connected to an FX2 chip which
> is not the USRP and has not been initalised, can you determine that it is an
> FX2 that in on a USRP or not?

All USRPs that Matt ships have a non-Cypress USB VID/PID burned into
them.  There is no confusion between a USRP and an unprogrammed FX2.
We use: VID = 0xfffe, PID = 0x0002.  We distinguish board revs and
whether or not we've loaded our firmware via the DID.

See usrp/firmware/include/usrp_ids.h

Pretty much every question about how to control the USRP is answered
in one of the .h files in usrp/firmware/include

In particular, see fpga_regs_common.h and fpga_regs_standard.h for
the definitions of the configuration registers in the FPGA.

> Thanks for you help.

You're welcome.

> Regards.

It's really OK to let us know who you are, Mr Pub ;)

Eric