Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Some question about flow_graph

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Some question about flow_graph
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:09:13 -0800

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 10:50:18PM +0100, Davide Anastasia wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 30/11/2006 alle 11.23 -0800, Eric Blossom ha scritto:
>
> > First off assuming that a flow graph maps to a single thread would be
> > a mistake.  There are several cases where you get multiple threads
> > from a single flow graph.  Expect there to be more and more cases
> > where SMP/multicore resources are transparently taken advantage of.
>
> And if I do a new C++ module? How can I make it a single thread?

One of the underlying ideas in GNU Radio is that the individual blocks
don't know much about anything, and in particular don't know or care
about anything having to do with threading.

Can you say more about the module that you want to write and why you
think it should be in its own thread?  Are you on a multicore/SMP
machine?

Ultimately we'll have transparent support for SMP, multicore and NUMA,
and outside of perhaps providing a few hints, the graph should be the
same for all cases.  The idea is that the code "just goes faster"
without the user having to do anything.

> > See gnuradio-examples/python/*/*.py in the tarball of svn tree.
>
> Thanks. Very useful! I don't mind there are examples in the SVN tree.

You're welcome!

Eric