Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Avoiding plug-n-fry design

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Avoiding plug-n-fry design
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:44:54 -0800

It's beginning to look like future daughterboards should include an
attenuator or fuse or something.  This would avoid the idiotic result
that you plug 'transmit' into 'receive', as any sane computer-oriented
person would do, and (invisibly) fry your board.

Having the same connector on the tx and rx ports makes it that much
more likely to happen.  (I'm not arguing that we should enter
connector hell by making them different!)

Prominently selling a "loopback cable" that includes an appropriate
attenuator would also be a positive step.  Perhaps each amplified
transmiter should come with one, in a nice ethernet-orange color.

        John