Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Radio USB Dongles?

From: michael taylor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Radio USB Dongles?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:19:59 -0500

On 11/10/06, Dave hartzell <address@hidden> wrote:
I've seen a lot of these $50 devices lately and I'm wondering if they
would be compatible with GnuRadio...

No support currently. Not likely.

Anyone ever used one, and/or know how they operate?  Hopefully they're
just a front-end with a ADC that sends I/Q to the CPU for
processing....

:-) Silicon Labs makes one chipset used in some. It has a 8051
microcontroller and a FM Tuner chip. I think all those chips output
Left/Right audio, not I/Q.

http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Broadcast/Radio_Tuners/en/Si4700-01.htm
http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/en/USBFMRadio.htm

The Toolkit is available from Mouser for $35 USD.
<http://www.mouser.com/3plcart/cart.cfm?sid=63410000&pn=USBFMRADIO-RD>