Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What's the story on hpsdr.org

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What's the story on hpsdr.org
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:51:37 -0500

Robert McGwier wrote:

HPSDR grew up on its on from "Friends of Flex Radio". It was an organic happening. It is borrowing heavily from Gnu Radio. It does have a more amateur radio centric focus. TAPR and AMSAT are both supporters but we are supporters of Gnu Radio as well. Matt, Eric, and others belong to AMSAT projects. Matt is the principal investigator on the digital communications package for our next spacecraft. Lyle is personally much more interested in the embedded controller applications (DSP chips) than desktop. He is a Flex Radio owner and user. Frank Brickle and I do both Gnu Radio and HPSDR. We are heavily involved in the Sasquatch, Odyssey, and other pieces. If there is competition, it is friendly and not hostile. I do not perceive any competition and I am close to both. Eric subscribes to the HPSDR group and contributes comments on occasion. I comment wherever I am, whether I should or not ;-). HPSDR is using the USB interface approach from Gnu Radio. Hey! Why reinvent the wheel?

I suspect there will be some competition for customers for the USRP and the Mercury/Ozy. When the latter becomes real, we can guage it better then. I hope Matt is doing a USRP-2. I continue to support both efforts. My feeling is your perception is incorrect. I do suspect that GnuRadio will be easily adapted to Ozy/Mercury when that becomes available since HPSDR has borrowed so heavily from GnuRadio.

As you say, HPSDR is an open source open hardware happening and it serves up everything from source to gerber files in its svn server.

Bob

Ah, Ok.

I looked at the specs for the Mercury board, and it's disappointing that it doesn't do complex sampling (at least, according to the diagram). The receiver chips that I care about produce I and Q outputs, but that's just
 me :-)

The HPSDR project does look interesting, and I can see why, for some applications, you'd like to remove the
 PC from the picture (satellites come immediately to mind).

--
Marcus Leech                            Mail:   Dept 1A12, M/S: 04352P16
Security Standards Advisor        Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145