Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What's the story on hpsdr.org

From: Bill Tracey
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What's the story on hpsdr.org
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 00:05:50 -0600

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 03:19:36PM -0500, Marcus Leech wrote:
> Anyone here have any more info on www.hpsdr.org?
>
> This sounds like a competing open-source SDR effort.   It sounds like
> Lyle and friends are either
> not aware of Gnu Radio, or there's some politics I'm not aware of...

Hello -- I'm one of the developers working on HPSDR.org - specifically the Janus/Ozy board and the PC pieces inside PowerSDR. As Bob and John have stated we started out trying to build a better ADC/DAC, mostly thinking about using it with Flex-Radio's SDR 1000 hardware. Over time it's turned into a backplane definition and a modular design of some building blocks that can be linked together to play radio.

We are certainly aware of GNURadio (I have a USRP and run GNURadio), and have 'borrowed' pieces from it - I believe the cordic from the USRP is being used in Phil Harman's initial experiments on Mercury (wideband 130 Ms/sec A/D converter). We also share common USB interface hardware (FX2) and software (libusb), We differ a bit on focus - GNURadio is a much more ambitious and generic project, most folks interested in HPSDR are interested mostly in amateur radio applications. Also HPSDR at the moment is tied to PowerSDR which is primarily a Windows thing, while GNURadio is most at home on Linux.

I don't know of any politics or bad feelings between the two projects. I know some of the folks active here are also active with HPSDR. All the stuff we're doing is open source licensed (GPL/LGPL on the software) so it's exploitable if folks find is useful. I know I'd like to write a gr-audio-janus layer at some time to allow one to use the Janus ADC/DAC board to work with GNURadio - just a matter of finding the time to do it and learn a bit on coding for GNUradio.

Regards,

Bill Tracey (kd5tfd)