[Discuss-gnuradio] Linux Semaphores

From: Jeremy Chew
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Linux Semaphores
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:43:08 +0800

I'm working on developing TDMA on GR using RedHat Enterprise Linux WS 2.6. I intend to use semaphores or mutex for controlling access to shared memory when events like packet arrivals and timeouts occur.

However, I understand based on the man pages that a number of the calls for semaphores and mutex may cause a deadlock when the calling thread happens to be handling an asynchronous signal.

First of all, what are asynchronous signals in this context? If they refer to events whose time occurance is unpredictable, wouldn't such signals apply to a really large number of cases, including packet arrivals?

The man pages say that sem_post is the only POSIX call that handles asynchronous signals fine. What use is this if I can't use sem_wait with asynchronous signals?

What is your experience with semaphores and mutex?

Jeremy