Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Debian packages???

From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Debian packages???
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:48:40 +0530

On 10/15/06, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 04:03:25PM -0700, Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> libgnuradio-core0c2a
> libgnuradio-core0c2a-dbg
> libgnuradio-core0-dev
> usrp
> usrp-firmware
> libusrp0-dev
> libusrp0c2a
> libusrp0c2a-dbg
> python-gnuradio
> python-usrp
> gnuradio-doc
> gnuradio-examples

I'm clueless about Debian packaging.  Could someone please explain
the partioning between usrp, usrp-firmware, libusrp* and python-usrp?

Since usrp FPGA code cannot be built without non-free Altera tools
though the FPGA code itself is free, it has to go into the contrib
section of the Debian archive. Debian divides its archive into "main",
"contrib" and "non-free". This link explains it well:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-sections

So that explains why usrp-firmware is packaged seperately from the usrp code.

The library packaging splits the shared libraries and static libraries
and header files seperately. Please see:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html

Also, how would I know that these correspond to the GNU Radio 3.0
release?  If we make a 3.0.1 or 3.1 release, how will the
corresponding packages be named?

The package naming won't change. Only the versions numbers appended
after the name of the package only would change.

All the Debian Packaging rules, how the OS filesystem and other things
are organised etc are well codified into the Debian Policy. There is
also a Debian Developer's Reference. Here are the links.

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/

--
 Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD