Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: gnuradio trellis

From: Bob McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: gnuradio trellis
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:57:59 -0400

Achilleas:

You and I essentially agree.

I personally believe that maximum likelihood sequence estimation is suboptimal in comparison to a more completely Bayesian approaching built upon computationally feasible implementations of the EM algorithm. Since we can and should take a non-causal approach to JOINT channel and symbol estimation for bauded signals (we are doing DSP), we should take the Bayesian approach to increase the probability of the observed signal by adapting to changing parameters of the channel as the EM algorithm is capable of doing. It has been some time since I looked at gr-trellis (not since the earliest of checkins). It does "Viterbi equalization" I take it from your description and follows the course laid out in Forney's seminal paper.

I did an EM algorithm based demodulator for Mil. Std. 188-110-A1 and published the results in a TAPR proceedings almost a decade ago. I was prevented from releasing the source code by my employer at that time after getting approval to give the talk and the promise it would be releasable. Times have changed and so have attitudes. I would be allowed to release and check in a version of this for our systems. I don't think the Mil. Std. demod would be of interest but the general technique would. I think it would be instructive for people to be able to compare the approaches taken. Possibly the single strongest component of the EM based channel mitigation and symbol estimation was derived from a newer formulation of the typical problem.

Sum(j)  Y(i-j) O(j)   =  Sum(k) X(i-k) C(k)

where the Y's are the signal samples and O are use to get a filtration applied to the observed signal. X's are the unobserved states in a Markov chain (the bauds) and C's are the filters applied to the Markov chain. Without the O's this could easily be done with Viterbi equalization or EM.

As in the Viterbi equalization, no attempt is made to invert the channel and turn "y's" into "x's". Conditional probabilities for the X's given the Y's are computed using the current set of the parameters O,C. The probability of the observations are then increased by re-estimation of the O's and C's given the conditional probabilities for the X's and this is done iteratively until you the programmer reach your "stopping criterion" whatever that might be.

In other words, guessing criterion for the X's that minimizes the differences in the left hand side and the right hand side in a mean square sense are derived. After guess criterion are derived, this is used to update the O,C parameters. Under the assumptions made, you are guaranteed that the probability of the observations will increase with each iteration of guess/reestimate.

People who do equalizers don't realize they are essentially "dividing by zero" or "dividing by a small quantity" in a channel with a notch in its response and even when there is not a notch but a degradation. An equalizer does noise enhancement by lifting the response to match expectation. UGLY.

In the MM clock estimator/symbol recovery stuff that Matt and I checked in last January, we did just such an ugly decision feedback equalizer using LMS as the approach. The primary benefit that accrues is speed of execution, not optimality of the results.

Shao and Nikias wrote a paper that is a computational feasible approximation to the EM algorithm. They have no "O's" and they did only real signals. I have done a replacement with complex X's and with the O's. I probably should dust it off a bit and rework the cob-webs in my head from the last time I looked at this and then get it checked in.

Bob

Anastasopoulos Achilleas wrote:

Toby,

for me the term "equalization" is equivalent to
"sequence detection in ISI channels".
If by "equalization" you mean "linear" or "decision feedback"
equalization this is another story.

I am not sure how the gr-trellis stuff will be useful to you if
you do not want to do sequence detection, but some sort of
suboptimal linear or decision-feedback equalization, unless you
want to use it only for the GMSK detection part...

If you tell me more specifically what system you are
working on (modulation type, channel, receiver processing)
I can give more specific comments.