RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP

From: Bahn William L Civ USAFA/DFCS
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:42:41 -0600

>> # ./usrp_siggen.py -f 10

>That would be 10 Hz.

>Everywhere a frequency is expected you can use a float followed
>immediately by an SI suffix.  E.g., -f 92.3M

Thanks.

>> What I got was nine copies of a "connection timed out" message and a
>> complaint about it not being able to load the FPGA bitstream.

>Sounds like at USB problem, perhaps a bad cable.
>Try another cable and ensure that the cable is properly seated on both
>ends.  If you're using an external USB hub, perhaps in a monitor,
>please try without the hub in the path.

We've only got the one cable - the one that came with the USRP. I can try to
scrounge another one. I've disconnected both ends several times and have
plugged it into each of the two USB ports directly on the computer.

When I go through the first part of the steps on the following page:

http://comsec.com/wiki?UsrpInstall

All indications are that the USB is working and being recognized - to the
degree that I can properly interpret what I am seeing, anyway.

>> I know that there is at least some communication going on with the
>> board, because when I power it up I get the green LED blinking at a
>> little over 3Hz. When I run the siggen program, the blinking stops (it
>> usually goes away, but once stayed on continuously). I have to cycle
>> power to get the blinking light back.

>It should never stop blinking.  When power is first applied, it
>should blink at about 3 Hz.  After any application is run (which loads
>the "real firmware"), the LED should blink at approximately 1 Hz.

Agreed. My point is that it's not like the board is completely isolated from
the machine. There is some kind of activity that the program is causing that
the board is responding to.

I've been playing with the usrper program and anything that I try with it says
that the firmware is not configured. When I try to use the load_firmware option
is says the same thing.

Bill