[Discuss-gnuradio] Homing in on the mystery of Pulsy McGrooder

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Homing in on the mystery of Pulsy McGrooder
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:05:06 -0400

A little while ago, I posted a message talking about some "mysterious" pulse-like interference I've been receiving with my Gnu Radio/USRP/DBS_RX setup, using my radio-astronomy receiver software. I affectionately
 dubbed this signal "Pulsy McGrooder".   Ok, so I'm a bit strange.

Tonight, I did some hunting around in frequency, looking for where this signal was strongest. I found that I could hear it across the entire passband of my front-end filter, which covers 995-1600Mhz. I confirmed that it dropped off sharply at the edges of the filters passband (good thing, since I paid $75.00 for that filter!!!).

I found that the signal was strongest near 1350Mhz. I used peak-hold in my spectral display, and found that it was a fairly broad feature, roughly 20dB out of the noise on peak-hold. With averaging turned on, you couldn't
 see it clearly, but peak-hold worked like a champ.

So, I went looking for 1350Mhz as some kind of "magic" frequency. Turns out it's a very popular airport radar frequency, although I don't think that it's used from passing aircraft, but rather as part of the
 ATC radar network.

I looked up that frequency range in Industry Canadas frequency allocation search tool, and found that NAV CANADA had several radars in Ontario in that frequency range, including two at the Ottawa airport--one right at 1350Mhz. But, Ottawa is 60Km away from me, I would have thought the signal would be too weak for me to see.

Not so, as it turns out. I ran a path-loss calculation, using the Tx Power data in the Industry Canada spectrum database. That radar in Ottawa is at +45dBW (+75dBm). I assumed a 20dB gain transmit antenna, 60km free-space path, and 30dBi gain for my receiving antenna. Plugging that all in to a path loss calculator, I find that the radar signal is arriving at my feed at approximately -11dBm. Which is just a *smoking* strong
 signal, in anybodys book!

So, how is this getting into the passband of the receive chain? I have the DBS_RX configured to low-pass-filter the I and Q to 2Mhz, but the signal levels from that radar getting into the DBS_RX must be quite high--I have
 about 35dB of gain in front of the DBS_RX.

Given how strong this signal is here, 60Km away, I imagine that Ku-band satellite users near the airport must suffer quite a bit of interference, even though good RG6 has about 80dB of isolation!

Is anybody aware of 1350Mhz being used from aircraft themselves, rather than as passive reflectors?