[Discuss-gnuradio] Question on acquiring 802.11b signals

From: Swapneel S. Ukhalkar
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Question on acquiring 802.11b signals
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 23:50:50 -0700

I posted on a similar topic about two weeks ago but it really didn't help me. I am new to the world of GNU radio and have been fiddling with my USRP and RFX2400 daughterboard to acquire 802.11b signals. At this point, I just would like to take the fft of a chunk of spectrum so that I may see all of the wireless signals in the vicinity and their strengths (much like Eric Blossom did for the FM stations in Figure 3 of his "Listening to FM Radio in Software" article at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7505). I have been going over the basic FM receiver code in the GNU radio tutorials. I can see how easy it is to see different FM signals in a spectrum chunk. However, one of the things that I'm having trouble understanding is how each 802.11 signal is differentiated from one another (apart from the spectral mask). Could you give me some insight into what I have to do to acquire and display the appropriate signals. Maybe if I looked at the code which was used to generate Figure 3 in that article it might help. Thanks in advance.

--
Swapneel S. Ukhalkar
BSEE UC Santa Barbara