Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problem with SWIG and c++ templates...

From: Achilleas Anastasopoulos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] problem with SWIG and c++ templates...
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:49:12 -0400

Jonathan,

I will do what you said.

BTW, whatever I have commited so far does pass make, make check.
What exactly is make distcheck ?

Achilleas

Johnathan Corgan wrote:
Achilleas,

For the kind of work you are doing, I would much prefer that you work in a developer branch rather than the trunk. This will help us to ensure that the trunk is always compilable and passes 'make distcheck'.

Eric has already created your developer branch directory, so all you need to do further is:

svn cp http://gnuradio.utah.edu/svn/gnuradio/trunk http://gnuradio.utah.edu/svn/gnuradio/branches/developers/anastas/xxxx

Substitute a meaningful name for 'xxxx' above to remind yourself of the kind of work you're doing. (And the above, if it gets wrapped by your mailer, should all be one command.)

Then check out into a fresh directory on your machine:

svn co http://gnuradio.utah.edu/svn/gnuradio/branches/developers/anastas/xxxx gnuradio
cd gnuradio

Now you can do all your work and check in at whatever points you like without worrying about whether everything is always working. Then, when you're at some logical stopping point, make sure that the 'make distcheck' operation succeeds all the way to the end. Once that occurs, you can merge all the changes you made into the trunk in one step (I'll walk you through that at the right time.)

This may seem like a lot of extra work but by doing your intermediate work in a private developer branch and only merging with trunk when 'make distcheck' succeeds we ensure that our users who are tracking the trunk always get a working build.

Thanks for your help and let me know if you have any questions.

-Johnathan