Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with USB on OSX?

From: Jan Schiefer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with USB on OSX?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:55:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Thomas,

after loading the firmware, this is what it looks like:

---------------

USB High-Speed Bus:

  Host Controller Location:     Built In USB
  Host Controller Driver:       AppleUSBEHCI
  PCI Device ID:        0x27cc
  PCI Revision ID:      0x0002
  PCI Vendor ID:        0x8086
  Bus Number:   0xfd

USRP Rev 2:

  Version:      1.02
  Bus Power (mA):       500
  Speed:        Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer: Free Software Folks
  Product ID:   0x0002
  Serial Number:        00000000
  Vendor ID:    0xfffe

Built-in iSight:

  Version:      1.55
  Bus Power (mA):       500
  Speed:        Up to 480 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer: Micron
  Product ID:   0x8501
  Vendor ID:    0x05ac  (Apple Computer, Inc.)

---------------

Pretty similar, I'd say, apart from the USRP. No "vendor specific" anymore.

Try the following: After downloading the firmware to the USRP, disconnect
the USB. Hit Refresh on System Profiler - USRP should be gone. Plug USB
back in, hit Refresh again. See whether it still says "vendor specific" or
"USRP Rev whatever". This would be similar to your Ubuntu experiment, but
make sure that the OSX firmware download does the right thing.
Alternatively, try things in the opposite order: Run firmware download on
OSX, boot into Ubuntu and look with lsusb (or whatever tool) what ID
string you get out of the USRP.

Also, you were asking about XCode versions. I am running XCode 2.2.1 (from
the DVD that came with the MacBook Pro). As for other version info, the
darwinports stuff is all up-to-date, apart from libtool 1.5.20_0 <
1.5.22_0   . There is no specific reason for this other than lazyness.

Don't know about you, but I find the XCode version thing suspicious. What
have other people reported? Has anybody got it working with XCode 2.3 on
PowerPC?

Cheers,
   Jan