Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Intel Mac GNU Radio Install Update Soon

From: Jan Schiefer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Intel Mac GNU Radio Install Update Soon
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:18:52 -0700

Thomas Schmid wrote:
A quick note of caution: I found out that sometimes compiling with -j2
gets errors, then restarting the process without -j2 compiles without
any errors. I assume that it is some dependency problems because one
of the processes did not finish yet.
"This should never happen", but frequently does. The whole point of makefiles is to figure out dependencies and "do stuff". If you know what depends on what, figuring out what can be done in parallel is a trivial task. If that breaks the makefile, there is probably some assumption about build order coded into the makefile. If you care about what you are building, this is probably worth tracking down. Just like running your multi-threaded application for the first time on a multi-processor box. If it breaks in new and interesting ways, there's something you forgot :-).

Cheers,
  Jan