Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The coming deluge of CPU cycles

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The coming deluge of CPU cycles
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:56:02 +0930

On Thursday 27 July 2006 16:09, Jason Hecker wrote:
> > That's one route, though 32-bit 33-MHz PCI is pretty much the bottom
> > of the barrel these days.  Hence the interest in PCI-Express and/or
> > Express Card.
>
> True.  At a glance I couldn't see any alternative from PLX for faster
> PCI busses.  PLX's chips are fairly inexpensive though.  As an
> alternative could you use an FPGA as the PCI-Express to USRP MkII
> interface?

PLX don't have any "IO Accelerators" for PCI express.

They do make a PCI express to PCI converter though ;)

I dunno how much PCI-e soft cores cost, but it looks like one of the "easier"
routes to doing PCI-e :( You need an interface chip (BGA..) unless you're
using a Virtex-4 though (dunno what that translates to in Altera-land)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum