Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] NetBSD USRP USB changes committed to master repos

From: Berndt Josef Wulf
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] NetBSD USRP USB changes committed to master repository
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:13:03 +0930

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 22:22, Greg Troxel wrote:
> On Monday I committed the changes to ugen(4) that Joanne previously
> described on the list to the master NetBSD repository.  The option is
> enabled in GENERIC and GENERIC_LAPTOP on i386 and GENERIC on amd64,
> and is described in the ugen(4) man page.
>
> Updating to the latest -current should be sufficient to get these
> changes.  Berndt Josef Wulf reports that they work for him when using
> the fusb code, available at
>
> http://acert.ir.bbn.com/viewvc/adroitgrdevel/adroitgrdevel/radio_test/usb/
>
> I am interested in reports of how well this works on both i386 and
> amd64.
>
> It's pretty clear that getting pipelining closer to the hardware is
> needed - this is being pushed upstream since it works and gets ~80% of
> the likely speed gain.
 [...]

G'day,

for those interested here are a few results from the tests conducted on a Dell
Inspiron 9400 Centrino Duo @ 2GHz/1GB running NetBSD-3.99.21:

barossa: {29} ./test_usrp_standard_rx
xfered 1.34e+08 bytes in 4.2 seconds.  3.197e+07 bytes/sec.  cpu time =
0.04173
noverruns = 41

barossa: {30} ./test_usrp_standard_tx
usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: Input/output error
xfered 1.34e+08 bytes in 4.64 seconds.  2.894e+07 bytes/sec.  cpu time = 0.491
41 underruns

barossa: {33} ./benchmark_usb.py
Testing 2MB/sec... usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message:
Input/output error
uUusb_throughput = 2M
ntotal    = 1000000
nright    = 947559
runlength = 0
delta     = 1000000
FAILED
Testing 4MB/sec... usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message:
Input/output error
uUusb_throughput = 4M
ntotal    = 2000000
nright    = 1997896
runlength = 1997896
delta     = 2104
OK
Testing 8MB/sec... usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message:
Input/output error
usb_throughput = 8M
ntotal    = 4000000
nright    = 3999286
runlength = 3999286
delta     = 714
OK
Testing 16MB/sec... usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message:
Input/output error
usb_throughput = 16M
ntotal    = 8000000
nright    = 7997737
runlength = 7997737
delta     = 2263
OK
Testing 32MB/sec... usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message:
Input/output error
usb_throughput = 32M
ntotal    = 16000000
nright    = 15999303
runlength = 15999303
delta     = 697
OK
Max USB/USRP throughput = 32MB/sec

Interestingly, the 2MB/sec test fails although the faster speeds are ok.

cheerio Berndt