Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP - hotplug / udev / auto-loading of firmware

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP - hotplug / udev / auto-loading of firmware
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:17:36 -0700

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:44:50AM +0100, Kalen Watermeyer wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Am I correct in saying that the standard USRP setup is
> to have some entry in hotplug configuration that
> points the device manager to a firmware loading app,
> allowing the USRP to be configured as soon as it is
> detected?

No, this isn't a requirement.  However, sometimes it's useful to have
a hotplug configuration that sets up the permissions on
/proc/bus/usb/<right-answer> so that non-root users can access the
device.  This all depends on the distribution.

FYI, when the USRP library code attempts to gain access to the device,
it checks to ensure that it contains the firmware and FPGA image that
the user asked for (either implicitly or explicitly).  Thus, there's
no hard requirement to load either as soon as the device is plugged in.

Eric