Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fun with filter banks - grab many NBFM signals at

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fun with filter banks - grab many NBFM signals at once
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:43:20 -0400

Johnathan Corgan wrote:
Here is a quick and dirty app I cooked up to grab a slice of spectrum
and simultaneously demodulate NBFM and create .wav files for each of an
equally spaced set of channels.

In other words, you can grab a MHz of spectrum, specify 25 KHz centers,
and get .wav files of all the audio transmissions on each center
frequency (using NBFM modulation.)

Sounds groovy.

The FBI would now like to talk to you about deploying the new "lawful intercept" technology you've
 so kindly built for them :-) :-) :-)

Examples like this are precisely why SDR is so cool. Doing this in hardware would be many $$$$, and I'm certain that there's commercial equipment out there, costing thousands of dollars, that does precisely what this
 cute little Gnu Radio application does.

Were it not for the "illegal along a couple of dimensions", you could tune this to the cellular bands and record conversations. But I'm certain that the FBI would always get a warrant before they did such things. Unlike
 the NSA, which doesn't need one :-)