Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Variable" bit rate output block

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "Variable" bit rate output block
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 22:10:40 -0700

Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> What I have in mind is something like gr.simple_squelch_cc, but instead
> of outputting zeros when the average power is below the threshold,
> doesn't output anything at all.

After further reading, it seems like the strategy here would be to have
the general_work() method the block:

1) Only copy data from input to output when the power threshold is met.

2) When the power threshold is not met, skip over the input items but
don't advance the output index.

2) Call consume() for the entire input buffer.

3) Return from general_work() with the actual number of items copied,
which will always be equal or less than the input buffer size.

Would this work?

-Johnathan, AE6HO