Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wired article

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wired article
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 15:57:24 -0700

Joel Kolstad wrote:

I am a little disturbed about Ettus' envisionment of "a world in which
bandwidth is not an issue. People will create applications that will use
that bandwidth, like complete telepresence." -- This strikes me as
tantamount to saying that you envision a world where roads aren't an
issue... you'll just build a vehicle that can drive wherever you want it
to, like into the middle of some nature preserve.
I would think of it more like "a world where roads aren't an issue -- you'll just teleport to wherever you want to go", and nobody needs to build any roads or mess up any nature preserves.

Hopefully it wasn't
Matt's intention to suggest that there should be no regulation of
bandwidth, but rather that there should be large public bands in which
anything goes.  I also hope the comment, "It enables everybody to be a
broadcaster," isn't meant to encourage, e.g., high-power pirate radio
stations on the commercial broadcast bands.

I would never encourage breaking the law. Besides, it is far easier to go out and buy broadcast equipment than it is to use software radio, if all you want to do is broadcast pirate radio. Ramsey, Radio Free Berkeley and several other manufacturers make complete kits which you can get very cheaply. I am a big fan of changing the law, and that is why I supported the so-called "low power FM" movement which the FCC effectively squashed.

You are right that I believe there should be large public bands where _almost_ anything goes. I also think that eventually technology will allow us to make the entire spectrum that way. Why restrict one person's use if it does not reduce what someone else can do?

There really is a lot of work being done on the subject of open spectrum. A google search will point you towards some of the most interesting people and things going on.
Matt