[Discuss-gnuradio] Embedded systems with gnuradio

From: Daniel Piccoli
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Embedded systems with gnuradio
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:10:36 +0800

Hi,

I was just letting my mind wander and I want your thoughts on the
possibility of the following ideas involving Gnuradio on a handheld
computer such as the IPaq running at 400Mhz.

1. Building an USRP for such an embedded device.

2. Enabling GPS on such a system to help with navigation. The navigation
helper software might be a different project. I think that there are
free maps available.

3. Using the amatuer band (shortwave/UHF?) as a telephone line extension
(I know that the free spectrum is available, but this has limited range.
The free spectrum may be useful in the home, but not for mobile
applications). By this, I mean transmitting your skype or landline
telephone conversations by radio, using the embedded device as a
receiver (ie. avoid costly mobile phone charges). Several questions
arise from this:
        a) I have not yet studied for an amatuer licence. For those that do, is
it legal to use the spectrum in such a way.
        b) Is the free spectra suitable for transmitting digital audio such as
speex.

These applications could be extremely useful.

Thanks for any comments on these ideas. Note, I am from a CS background.
I have ordered the Lyons book for an intro to DSP.