Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM demodulation problem / example video

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM demodulation problem / example video
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:16:17 -0400

Prateek Dayal wrote:

On 4/4/06, *Robert McGwier* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~yasi/publications.html <http://www.cds.caltech.edu/%7Eyasi/publications.html>

Also for frequency offset, what really matters is not the frequency offset in Hz, but the relative frequency offset delta_f/F_s, where F_s is the subcarrier spacing. Please look at

*BER sensitivity of OFDM systems to carrier frequency offset andWiener phase noise*
Pollet, T.; Van Bladel, M.; Moeneclaey, M.
Communications, IEEE Transactions on
Volume 43, Issue 234, Feb/Mar/Apr 1995 Page(s):191 - 193
Digital Object Identifier   10.1109/26.380034

In general if your relative frequency offset is .01 or less, I think you will not be affected much. But again I am not too sure for DQPSK. Again QAM is more sensitive to these errors than QPSK.

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere. I am sharing what I have recently learnt about these things ....

Regards
Prateek Dayal

Thank you very much for the reference. This was a very nice link to Mostofi's work. The following paper is also pertinent to Jen's thinking on the guard interval offset being irrelevant. It is not of course:

*Y. Mostofi*, D. Cox and A. Bahai, "Effect of Timing Synchronization Errors on Pilot-aided Channel Estimation in OFDM: Analysis and Solution," /Proceedings of 5^th IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC),/ Honolulu, Hawaii, Oct. 2002, pp. 1309-1313.

http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~yasi/papers/WPMC02.pdf

Best wishes,
Bob