Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Embedded control of USRP

From: Lee Patton
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Embedded control of USRP
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:04:46 -0400

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 10:22 -0700, Thomas Schmid wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> We are also looking into similar things, though we don't have the
> power constraints which will be difficult to meet. We are currently
> looking at a micro-atx solution with an amd geod nx processor since
> this one is compatible with the amd athlon mobile. this should make it
> easy to have a running linux system.

Good point. Are you custom building this, or did you find a COTS
solution?  Have you looked at mini-itx (which I now know of thanks to
Pete)? If so, what was your impression?

> we were first also thinking about platforms which feature a intel
> xscale processor, though quickly found out that it doesn't support
> floating points. GNU Radio makes heavy use of floating point
> operations. Thus it is key, especially if the platform is not very
> powerfull, that it supports at least hardware floating points.

Wow. Thanks. I didn't even consider that point. I will definitely make
sure I check this.

> Also, did you consider the power consumption of the usrp? I don't know
> if someone measured it, but this might also be a problem for you,
> i.e., finding a battery which supports the usrp over a longer time.

This is a problem for us. However, other members of the group, namely,
the UAV guys, seem to think we're okay on this.

> cheers,
>
> Thomas

Thanks for the reply, Thomas.  I really appreciate the advice.