Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Stereo gain "hacked"

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Stereo gain "hacked"
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:13:31 -0500

Al, Matt:

Thanks for your input. I am pretty ignorant about these FM standards and basically I googled my way to a reasonable spec, drew the flow graph and coded it. The stereo demux was definitely not working with DEemphasis applied to the composite signal. And it was clear why. The taper was awful and the lower sideband was approximately 10 dB higher than the USB on the L-R, DSBSC stereo signal. I removed the deemphasis and voila, stereo. That said, when the pilot/carrier is 20 dB out of the noise in the 512 pt FFT, that should be strong enough that you do not have hiss that is irritating. But the COMPOSITE signal is what is FM modulated but I bet they do not preemphasize the composite signal. They might do preemphasis on the L+R baseband signal as Matt suggests but I just don't know about the others. I am trying to understand what about that would make sense. It would be very interesting to read a real spec. I have googled and not really found one a useful one.

I hate this RDS Top Secret MONEYWORD specification. Frank and I are determined to fix their wagon.

I did not know about Achilleas work.  I will search the archive.

Bob