[Discuss-gnuradio] Packet Transfer?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Packet Transfer?
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:46:53 -0500

After reading through the GMSK2 code, I wonder why packets are not transferred in the "usual" way: via the graph "connect()" method? They are instead transferred via "callforward" ["send_pkt()"] and "callback" ["rx_callback()"] methods, which requires extra threads to "automate" any data transfer.

Reading through the code provided at < http://wwwcs.upb.de/cs/ gsr.html >, they send packets using special flags the indicate "start" and "end" ... not exactly what I had in mind because it means that each block must search for the start before processing ... lots of wasted time because once as packeted has been 'sync'ed, the rest of the packet should be "known" to any further blocks. I -think- their method can also result in believing that a packet is there when it's not really (found the "start", must be a packet, but it was just random data; or similar for "end"), which would be undesirable.

What I'd really like is to send packets as structured chunks of data, using "connect()" in a graph. I will likely code this up & see if the "scheduler" can handle both (1) sometimes getting nothing when it wants something (e.g. when 'sync'ing on incoming symbols and no packet found); (2) sending exactly the packet data, not truncated, between block modules.

Any advice, thoughts, comments?  Has anyone done this?