Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Congress: "Merry Chrismas! We're Turning Off Your

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Congress: "Merry Chrismas! We're Turning Off Your Analog Outs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:32:01 -0800

At 05:02 PM 12/21/2005, Seth David Schoen wrote:
Steve Schear writes:

> All it means is that inexpensive Component Analog Video to HD-SDI
> converters, primarily targeting professionals but widely available to
> anyone with a CC, will appear and consumer gear will start sporting HD-SDI
> inputs.

I don't understand your optimism.  The definition of analog video input
device includes that device.
The definition of professional devices excludes something that
nonprofessionals often purchase; it is much stricter than "primarily
targeting professionals"!

        If a device is marketed to or is commonly purchased by persons
        other than those described in subparagraph (A), then such device
        shall not be considered to be a "professional device".

It means that the track record of keeping prohibited devices from being sold on-line, especially from foreign sources, has been poor and there is little reason to expect this will change. Also, it may be difficult to keep devices with open source firmware from being re-flashed by owners if the API and boot loaders are well-known or published.

Steve