Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Making a new packet_sink

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Making a new packet_sink
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:05:11 -0800

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:34:40PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I found my problem.  I needed to use a different name for my new version of
> the packet_sink function even though it was going to be in my package
> group.  Call it mr_packet_sink versus the original gr_packet_sink was not
> enough.  SWIG could not rename my mr_packet_sink.

Should work fine.  My guess is that your mr.i file
says something like:

  GR_SWIG_BLOCK_MAGIC(gr,packet_sink)

and it should say

  GR_SWIG_BLOCK_MAGIC(mr,packet_sink)

> The other porblem I found was that after making and installing my new
> block, I needed to manually copy the files _mr.la and _mr.so to my new
> block subdirectory /src/lib. Also I have added the location of my blocks to
> the PYTHONPATH name.

Good.  However, it looks like you're still "working across the grain."
There shouldn't be any reason to have to copy the stuff by hand.
That's what "make install" is for.

If you're trying to install your stuff someplace other than the
default /usr/local, use ./configure --prefix=/path/to/my/prefix
when building your stuff.  "make install" will put everything under
your specified prefix.

> I have made a 16 bit version of the CRC32 code.  Would you like to include
> this code with the rest of gnuradio code?

Yes, I'd love the 16-bit version.  I'll send copyright stuff to you off-list.

> If you do, please help me with the following
>
> I have been trying to install this code with the general gnuradio core but
> I have not been successful.  I get it to compile and install with the rest
> of the gnuradio-core-2.6 but it does not show up when I import gr.  I have
> generate gr_crc16.cc, gr_crc16.h and gr_crc16.i  in the
> gnuradio-core-2.6/src/lib/general directory (just like the crc32 file). I
> add added the approprite line in the Makefile.am and general.i (saw that
> there was an entry here for crc32 file). Is there another location I need
> to add code so that it will be available with the import gr?

Note that you have to add *two* lines to general.i.
One for the .i and one for the .h
In Makefile.am, there are *three* lines to add: .h, .cc, .i

Thanks,
Eric